Sunday, October 30, 2011

 

Back to the Beach

If your life falls apart and nothing seems to work, a day at the beach might be a good idea. Writing from our refuge on the bluff overlooking Birch Bay and the San Juan Islands, putting our perils in perspective is made a little easier with the knowledge that living a block from the beach serves as a salve for our recent displacement from San Francisco Bay.

Having encountered the flow of economic refugees hostel hopping in San Francisco for the past month opened my eyes to the housing disaster still unfolding there. Counting myself lucky to have the support of family and friends as I was immersed in the currents of homelessness, I found walking the waterfront promenade on Marina Boulevard overlooking the Golden Gate a means of washing away some of my worries.

Now that I am once again able to watch my poodle frolic in the waves as eagles, kingfishers, mergansers and loons fish nearby, I more fully understand the therapeutic value of sand and surf. For all those kind souls I met on my ongoing journey to stability, I hope there is a beach in their near future as well.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?