Thursday, September 09, 2010

 

A Day in the Life

Because I was up late hanging the laundry that wasn't quite dry due to the dryer door malfunction and my dearth of quarters, I noticed the butter dish was empty and wisely took out a fresh cube from the fridge so Marianne wouldn't have to spread hard butter on her toast at five a.m. Little did I know at the time that she would miss it entirely in the dull light of dawn and wake me complaining about no butter for her toast.

Later, searching for a place to sit and have my tea among her hanging nightgowns and Cosmo's freshly-washed stuffed animals, I had a premonition it might be one of those days.

Having secured a spot for me, my toast and tea, the neighbor's car alarm began a long uninterrupted rendition, until some resourceful compatriots discovered they could open the door, release the brake, and roll the annoying vehicle down to the next block, where it continued in a distant, muted reminder that where there's a will, there's a way. Peace is a relative commodity.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?