Friday, July 23, 2010

 

The Right to Communicate

One of the things readily apparent to me now that I am limited to slow DSL service is that some video on the Internet plays well while most are inaccessible. Something for my colleagues to keep in mind when designing studios and communications projects for global indigenous audiences.

My situation is partly financial, and partly provider infrastructure, but I know that our associates in locations lacking fiber optic wiring are limited in their capacity to communicate, even when they have free access.

Indigenous-produced media has advanced rapidly in the last few years, but investment in equipment and software that can circumvent barriers to communication is still sorely needed. If the UN Human Rights Commission wants to advance meaningful consultation with indigenous peoples, then the Human Rights Fund should make access a priority.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?