Monday, August 06, 2007

 

Paddle to Lummi

The acknowledgments, somehow buried in Part III -- Four Essays on War -- of the first edition of my book Salvaging Democracy, read as follows:

Thanks to Paul de Armond for prompting me to collect these essays and for first publishing them. Also to Daniel Junas for his inspirational dedication. To the Lummi Nation for giving me joy and showing me the meaning of the term human dignity. To Anica Vesel Mander for her grace. To Colleen Gallagher for her gentleness, Hisako Oba for giving me peace, and Emerald O'Leary for reminding me that rage against injustice can overtake loving kindness, if you let it.

Today ended the week-long first potlatch in 70 years for Lummi Nation and all their relations who arrived from the coasts of Washington and British Columbia by canoe. Here is the story of Paddle to Lummi--past, present, and future.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?