Tuesday, April 10, 2007

 

The Honorable Thing

In my short career advising local governments on how to get federal funds for trails and habitat preservation, I met two mayors of small, rural, farming cities, one of which was a Dutch Reformed stronghold.

The secular mayor enjoyed horseback riding, as did I, and after performing what seemed like miracles for his town, he always went out of his way to greet me at large political functions. The devout Christian mayor enjoyed bicycling on the trails I got funded, and used to invite me to lunch now and then.

When I took on managing environmental litigation for a non-profit, I had the ability and wherewithal to bring their towns to their knees for non-compliance, but chose instead to meet each mayor for coffee to explain our view and how we might resolve things. One met our offer, and the other failed to persuade his council to do likewise.

Years later, when some Congressmen were scapegoating local Indian tribes for the two cities' difficulties in meeting clean water standards to protect endangered treaty salmon resources, I arranged for a liberal minister from the Christian redoubt to co-host a discussion at the large tribal community center along with a religious tribal leader. The mayors attended and listened attentively.

Afterward in the parking lot, the Christian one remarked that treaties were things of the past, and that it was time to move on. I took a deep breath, and responded, "Think of them as liens on real estate, contracts, extensions of the U.S. Constitution. The United States and its citizens continue to benefit from the ceded lands, so the contractual obligation to protect resources guaranteed in perpetuity by these treaties continues. Should we default on the agreement because we think we can get away with it? Would that be the honorable thing to do?"

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?