Sunday, July 24, 2005

 

Cult of Heavyosity

God bless our commercial-free community radio station; their news is straight-up, and the programming is superb. About the only complaint I can muster is that they sometimes indulge in what I can only describe as a sort of peculiar embrace of evil as their cultural nemesis. Not altogether different, at times, from revival preachers exorting coming to the fold or be forever damned. Other times creating an intense feeling of deep knowing--similar to what I imagine the climate of a Freemasons gathering--of which only their listeners possess. In a word, weird.

I'd be the last to argue that there aren't some really sordid things transpiring in our society, and there is most certainly a profound ignorance among my countrymen, but how, I wonder, do those with access to the airwaves propose to recruit and convert others with this occult-like approach?

Perhaps the mysterious has a popular attraction beyond reason in our present state of madness, but how does perpetuating illogic lead us out of this confusion? Maybe that was never their intent.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?