Thursday, April 21, 2005

 

Not Welcome

I usually try to refrain from doing on this day in history posts, mostly because sites like HistoryLink.org do it so well, but also because I like the freedom to write on whatever catches my fancy at the moment. But today is different--not because I personally ever suffered any form of discrimination--but because someone I knew and admired did. Plus, she was the mother of my cousin's husband- a delightful, gregarious woman until her recent death.

Many have written about the Japanese American internment camps and the indignities and losses these American families suffered, so I won't go there, as they say. What I will do is say a blessing for all their families alive today, and ask you to go to HistoryLink and read the very short essay there. And view the photos of Seattle police nailing three-foot-high posters to city telephone poles with headlines reading:
Western Defense Command and Fourth Army
Wartime Civil Control Administration
Instructions to all Persons of JAPANESE Ancestry

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?